The Horizon Software Group is committed to building applications that are accessible to all users regardless of individual capabilities. We are enhancing our software to create comparable experiences of all walks of life.
Software under active development is being built to accepted standards for Web and Mobile accessibility for our users. These include:
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Level AA
- United States Rehabilitation Act of 1973 Section 508 standards
All new applications built by Horizon Software undergo testing to demonstrate these standards. Requests for Accessibility enhancements outside of the original scope are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We will also review requests for products that have not been evaluated and given a VPAT below on a case-by-case basis.
We at Horizon Software recognize that there will be on-going updates to the global Accessibility Standards. As new technologies emerge, we will continue to look for new ways to meet these standards and support users of all abilities in a proactive manner. To ensure the compliance with these standards on an on-going basis, Horizon Software employs the following as a general practice:
- Issuance of Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates (VPAT) for key software platforms
- On-going training on accessibility testing and software design
- Use of automated accessibility testing tools to validate compliance with the above standards
Our Development Approach
Horizon Software continues to build for accessibility in our engineering and design process. We aim to use this process to release products meeting the requirements set forth in Section 508 and WCAG 2.0 AA documentation and enable users of all capabilities to use them. We are approaching this by:
Remediation in Sprint Backlog
Once 3rd party testing of our applications has completed, we work with our vendor to understand the priority and severity of any accessibility gaps. Any critical or high priority issue will be added to our Product Accessibility Roadmap and prioritized as user stories in a development plan for an upcoming sprint.
Accessibility Common Components
Horizon Software’s development teams have been working collaboratively to create a central library where we store common screen controls that have been created to exude these standards of accessibility inherently. Each product team will determine when it is right to adopt these standard controls as part of their roadmaps.
Ongoing Training For Engineers
Our developers and software test engineers are staying on top of the latest and greatest techniques for writing accessible applications. We share information across the teams internally and work with our 3rd party vendors to implement accessibility in our latest technology platforms.
Horizon Software and Level Access
Horizon Software has recently partnered with one of the nation’s largest accessibility vendors, Level Access. We have contracted with Level Access to evaluate and report on the accessibility for key software initiatives. The VPAT 2.x templates that we issue conform to the new standards set forth by governing bodies.
- Horizon Software provides Level Access a complete demonstration of all of the features, modules and pages contained within our application.
- Level Access publishes a list of modules and use cases that will be tested to produce a complete evaluation of the level of accessibility within an application.
- Level Access completes a Discovery phase in which the application is tested by actual persons with varying impairments.
- Horizon Software obtains the testing results and enters into a period of remediation in which any fundamental issues with accessibility identified are resolved. Any issue not immediately resolved will be published in a product road map with estimated timing for future remediation.
- VPAT 2.x is generated and published and is available to existing or potential customers upon request.
Catalog of VPAT Documentation by Product
Here are links to the VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template) documents we have available for download. Updated VPAT documents will be provided at regular intervals.
My Payments Plus and Free & Reduced Online Applications (VPAT 2.1)